Memorial Day weekend is FINALLY HERE. I don’t know about you, but for me it’s the official kick off of summer. The pools are open, the days are longer, and time for BBQs with friends. With that comes a lot of temptations – burgers, fried foods, potato salad.. and sugary drinks!
How can you stay on track with all those temptations? Well, I have a few tips and recipes for you so that you don’t sabotage all your hard work, BUT still have a good time.
PLANNING is key. Every Sunday I sit down and plan out my meals for the week. I look at our calendar and see what events we have and plan accordingly. If you plan your meals ahead, you won’t be catching yourself going to the drive-thru or wondering what to make for dinner.
- If I know that I have an event, whether it be a party or a BBQ or some sort of social event, I always have my Shakeology before going. If you do this you will not be going hungry and catch yourself stuffing your face when you get there.
- If you are asked to bring a dish, make something clean to bring to the party. I will share a few of my favorite recipes below for some ideas.
- Make the party about the socialization, not about the food. Stay away from the food table. Have your conversations away from them.
- Limit your drink intake. Drinks are loaded with calories. I’m not saying don’t have a drink, but instead of having 4, 5 or 6. Have 1 or 2. In between drink water. It will keep you hydrated and keep you feeling full.
- Don’t skip your workout ! Get it done, no excuses ! It will make you less likely to cheat!
- Have FUN !!
A few of my favorite recipes:
Easy Flag Fruit Dessert
5-6 cups of red fresh fruit. (I used cherries, strawberries and raspberries)
2 cups of blueberries
3 cups of yogurt or white chocolate covered pretzels
Wash fresh fruit and dry. Lay out fruit and pretzels to represent the flag stripes, and place a small bowl of blueberries on the top left.
Grilled Corn with Chili, Cheese, and Lime
Yield: 4 servings
4 ears of corn, husks removed
2 tsp. olive oil
Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) (to taste; optional)
¼ cup crumbled queso fresco (or feta cheese)
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 medium lime, cut into 4 wedges
1. Preheat grill to medium.
2. Bring large pot of water to boil; add corn. When water returns to a boil, remove corn. Drain well.
3. Brush corn with oil. Season with salt if desired.
4. Place corn on grill, turning frequently, for about 4 minutes, or until corn kernels are browned. Remove from grill.
5. Sprinkle corn with cheese and cayenne pepper. Serve immediately with lime wedges
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites with Blue Cheese Sauce
½ cup low-fat (1%) plain yogurt
2 Tbsp. crumbled blue cheese
Nonstick cooking spray
6 cups cauliflower florets
½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
½ cup hot pepper sauce
⅓ cup rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch, gluten-free (preferably GMO free)
2 tsp. ground chili powder
¼ tsp. ground smoked paprika
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Combine yogurt and cheese in a small bowl; mix well. Refrigerate until needed.
3. Lightly coat large baking sheet with spray.
4. Place cauliflower florets on baking sheet. Coat cauliflower lightly with spray. Season evenly with ¼ tsp. salt.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until tender-crisp.
6. While cauliflower is baking, combine hot sauce, rice vinegar, and cornstarch in medium saucepan; whisk until cornstarch is dissolved.
7. Add chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, maple syrup, oil, and remaining ¼ tsp. salt; whisk to blend.
8. Heat hot sauce mixture over medium-high heat; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until thickened. Set aside.
9. Pour hot sauce mixture over baked cauliflower (on baking sheet); mix well.
10. Return cauliflower to oven. Bake for 5 minutes.
11. Serve hot with sauce.
- ¾ pound ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ avocados
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¾ teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Mix the ground turkey together with the chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Form into three patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 3 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Cook the patties, making sure they brown on both sides, until they are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make your guacamole. Mash together the avocados, lime juice, garlic powder in a bowl. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve burgers with a dollop of guacamole on each patty.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped, fresh peaches, blended
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In a large pitcher, combine the water, lemon juice, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Blend the peaches in a blender until it reaches your preferred consistency. If you want it very smooth, add a little of the lemonade to the blender with the peaches.
- Stir and serve over ice.
Skinny Cucumber Cocktail
8 slices cucumber
4 ice cubes
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 can sparkling water, lime flavoured
In a cocktail glass, muddle the cucumbers with the back of a spoon.
Add gin, lime juice, 1/2 can sparkling water.
Stir & enjoy!