Let me be honest.. I know nothing about football. I watch the Super Bowl for the half time show, the commercials, time with family and friends and the FOOD !
If you are like me you don’t want to ruin all your progress from the week with one day!
So I thought I would share a few clean eating recipes for the big GAME DAY and a few tips to keep you on track.
- Get your workout in.. you don’t have to spend hours at the gym, 30 minutes is perfect !
- Drink lots of water. I know Super Bowl day is a day where we tend to drink a lot of beer, which is high in calories. Make sure you drink water as you go along. Try to keep it to one or two beers.
- Don’t go to a party HUNGRY. Plan ahead, drink your Shakeology. It will help you curb those cravings. If you are not hosting, you have no idea what the menu will be like, and it will most likely not be healthy choices. So plan ahead.
- Portion Control. Choose a small plate and load up on veggies or fruits. Stay away from the food table so you are not tempted.
Turkey Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Total Time: 31 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 16 min.
Yield: 2 servings
8 medium scallops (about 1 oz. each)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 dash cayenne pepper (or paprika) (to taste; optional)
Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
4 slices nitrite-free turkey bacon, cut in half crosswise
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil. Coat lightly with spray. Set aside.
3. Pat scallops dry with a paper towel. Season with cayenne pepper and black pepper if desired.
4. Wrap each scallop tightly with bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
5. Arrange scallops on baking sheet so that they are not touching.
6. Bake for about 12 to 16 minutes, or until scallops are opaque and bacon is crisp.
7. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Buffalo Chicken Tenders with Blue Cheese Dip
Total Time: 50 min.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cooking Time: 15 min.
Yield: 4 servings
4 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce (like Frank’s®), divided use
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 dash cayenne pepper (to taste; optional)
1 lb. raw chicken tenders
¼ cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 Tbsp. crumbled blue cheese
4 medium celery stalks, cut into sticks
1. Combine 1 Tbsp. hot sauce, vinegar, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl; mix well.
2. Add chicken; toss to coat. Marinate, covered, in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375° F.
4. Place chicken in a baking dish. Discard any remaining marinade. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
5. Combine yogurt and cheese in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
6. Combine chicken and remaining 3 Tbsp. hot sauce in a large bowl; toss gently to blend.
7. Serve chicken with dip and celery.
- 15 oz (from 3 medium hass) pitted and halved avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup red onion, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, mashed
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- Place the pulp from the avocados in a medium bowl and slightly mash with a fork or a potato masher leaving some large chunks. Add lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, red onion, garlic and mix thoroughly.
- If you are serving this at a later time, a great tip to keep the guacamole from turning brown is to cover tightly with plastic wrap so no air gets on it. Makes 2 cups.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow (or orange) bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 (28-oz.) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans (15-oz. each) kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Crushed red peppers (to taste; optional)
- 12 parsley sprigs, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Add turkey; cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until turkey is browned
- Add tomatoes, beans, chili powder, salt, and red peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide chili into 6 serving bowls and garnish with parsley if desired.
Flourless Brownie Muffins
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare 12 muffin cups by lining with muffin papers or coating with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Place chickpeas, eggs, maple syrup, cocoa powder, baking soda, coconut oil, and extract in blender or food processor; cover. Blend until smooth.
- Divide batter among 12 prepared muffin cups.
- Top each muffin with about four chocolate chips; push into batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely and enjoy!